Sunday, March 13, 2011

just posted on the other blog

Sunday, March 13, 2011
The quiet before the brainstorm


So here I am, back at square 1 - where I was in the early 2000s, where I was when I first started the blog - trying to figger out what the hell to do w my life. The difference is I have a little more experience under my belt, I've had exposure to some of the careers I am considering, and I understand myself a little better now, so my selection process for what to pursue next should be a little more refined.

When I woke up this morning, it occurred to me that my problem with nursing school is the emphasis on paperwork. That really is what killed me both times. The first time it was indirectly because of paperwork, the second time it was directly because of paperwork (well, technically paperwork isnt the final nail in my coffin, but it is definitely THE factor this time around).

Actually learning and understanding and connecting ideas will always be my strength. The academics, even tho I could be a jerkoff and procrastinate or avoid "studying" altogether, is pretty much a non-issue. Likewise, the clinical component, actually interacting with patients and staff, being safe and therapeutic, and having a grasp of what's going on - even though I am slow at learning or performing skills at times = also a non-issue.

My biggest challenge? Homework, paperwork, whatever u wanna call it. That was my problem even before nursing school, before college even. Especially, when I consider it busywork or more trouble than it's worth (w regards to learning). That's the hardest thing for me. Sitting still long enough, staying focused long enough, getting started soon enough, finishing soon enough, etc. That's the shit that kills me. And what kills me even more is I'm convinced one can be a fine nurse without having to churn out all that paperwork. I mean it's not like I have a problem with writing nurses notes or documenting the flow sheet in a timely manner. So whatever.

So no matter what I do next, I'll be best off in a program where understanding and synthesizing is valued more than regularly churning out pages and pages of homework.


Posted by (*_*) at 10:42 AM 0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment